Back to Article List
Keeping a Sharp Mind as a Senior
May 9, 2017 by Comfort Keepers
As we age, the brain begins to shrink, which can result in the loss of certain cognitive function, and potentially memory loss. Maintaining a healthy brain can help reduce the risk of memory loss and Alzheimer’s disease, and help with day-to-day activities.
Five Activities to Keep a Sharp Mind
There are several ways your aging loved ones can challenge their brains. Here are a few:
- Read: Reading is beneficial to your loved ones’ brain functions as it challenges the mind in a number of ways. From the act of reading itself to absorbing the information, and needing to remember characters, plots, and scenes, reading can keep your loved ones brain healthy.
- Eat Right: Many foods – such as nuts, fish, and even red wine, in moderation – have been linked to keeping a healthy brain. Concentrating on a healthy diet is a great way for your loved ones to give their brains much-needed nutrients.
- Be Creative: Unleashing their creative side is a great way for your aging loved ones to keep their minds active. Whether it is as simple as painting or something more hands on like pottery, crafting is a natural way to keep the minds healthy and active.
- Music: From listening to music to playing an instrument, music has been shown to have positive effects on the brain. Listening to music can bring back memories, which may have been once forgotten, while playing music can help with cognitive functions.
- Puzzles: Brain teasers are popular activities for seniors. Whether they are riddles, crosswords, Sudoku, or any other type of brain puzzle, they test seniors’ abilities and memory, giving their brains a mental exercise.
Comfort Keepers® in San Mateo
It is important that you support and encourage your loved ones through this time, as memory loss can be a challenging and frustrating thing for them to cope with. At Comfort Keepers® in San Mateo, we understand that it is hard to be there for your loved ones all of the time. That is where we come in. Our compassionate, professional in home caregivers can provide your loved ones with the assistance they need to live a happy, healthy, and independent life from the comfort of their own homes.
For more information regarding our in home care services and how our Comfort Keepers® can help your aging loved ones keep a sharp mind, call us at (650) 239-6113 or click here.